Just like many TV shows, you'll notice that the brainless head cheerleader and the half-Neanderthal quarterback are treated like heroes in high school. They're more like undercover dictators of the student body. I mean they really control the entire social aspect of high school.
Usually, they think that since they can get anything they want they find that everyone under them doesn't really need their attention, mostly because they get intelligence and popularity confused. Now, high school is like one big heirarchy! It goes something like this:
- King and Queen (aka head cheerleader and boyfriend)
- Football team
- Other sports teams
- Groups and clubs associated with the administration
- Small but powerful cliques
- Friends that think cliques are stupid
- Loners (very easy to be one of these)
- Extremely smart people that don't interact often
What you're going to want to do is start off in the middle somewhere and work yourself up. That way you meet people on the way who get to know you, and it brings your credibility up and that way you're not alone. Personally, I would start as a loner and keep going up. This should be easy for freshmen who could then start meeting up with people--skipping number 5 on the list. Now, you need to use these next tips for choosing the right kinds of friends.
- Everyone isn't going to be a good friend. So if you're friendship with someone is causing you too much stress, then don't be friends with them because it's just a complete waste of your time.
- Friends should always be sympathetic and respect you
- Just because everybody knows the popular kids' names doesn't mean it's a good thing. Some popular kids are known for the bad things they do. To me, popular kids are known for their money. But there are a proud few that are known for the nice things they do in public. But there are some who couldn't care less as long as they get the credit.
Another thing about friends, sometimes friends and school work don't mix well together. Here are some tips to think about when choosing a project partner.
Good project partners
- You shouldn't pick project partners based on if you like them. Actually try to get to know other people and get out of your comfort zone, that's what high school is about.
- Also, the best project partners are the students that really like the class, are good at the class, and participate in discussion the most.
So until next time, remember that your mom only wants what's best for you. When she says "I don't want you to hang out with those future arsonists of America," she's really saying "I just want you to be safe because I love you!"